Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Week 6 - Thingies # 13, 14, &15

The idea that you can have access to sites you have bookmarked on any computer is awesome. I spend a great deal of time either researching for a website in response to a teacher or student request or emailing the link to my school computer from home where I had it bookmarked so that I can bookmark it on my library computer. I will use del.icio.us to make it all much simpler.
"Folks" doing their own tagging can be fun but it can also be frustrating as the average blogger doesn't list a lot of tags - the kind that you would find in a well cross-referenced catalog. Guess I'm sounding like the little old library lady from Pasadena but there also seems to be a ton of junk out there that I don't want to read even with a tag I'm interested in.
As the world evolves, so must it's institutions. School libraries certainly must do all they can to change as well. Monies spent on print resources need to be turned toward subscription web services, state databases need to be championed until it happens for our students. Arbitrary fire walls need to be examined and content not words used as reasons to block sites and services. And warm and friendly is, as it has always been, technologically correct!

1 comment:

IrmaPince said...

Ah, working on the 4th. Hope you found some time to enjoy the holiday.
I think this is my favorite section of our tutorial. These are fantastic tools that will save us time at work and at home.